The holidays are just around the corner and many of us are spending time shopping, decorating, and making arrangements for out-of-town guests. When you stop and think about it all that running around, baking, and attending parties can be stressful. But how fortunate to be able to shop, to bake, to have a home to decorate, and family and friends with whom to celebrate and exchange gifts. We know how stressful the holidays can be if you or a family member are sick or away from home, unemployed or already working three jobs just to put food on the table. For instance, some of the families we serve at Caritas Family Solutions are separated by court order, struggling to cope with daily living, or perhaps grieving the recent loss of a loved one. For these, holidays may not be so happy.
But isn’t this also the season of giving? Shouldn’t we all feel compelled to help each other out a little more this time of year? No one deserves to be alone or struggling, especially at the holidays. That’s why we work so hard all year long at Caritas Family Solutions to create loving homes and to help people of all ages live more healthy lives.
So while preparing for the holidays, take a moment to de-stress and remember these five reasons to give, especially on #GivingTuesday, the global day of giving.
- Give to say thanks– Think of all the helping hands that you’ve been given, whether it was a few dollars from Grandpa so you could put gas in your car or the meals brought over from neighbors after you had surgery. Maybe you received a scholarship for your education, or were recommended for a job by a friend; perhaps, you sought help from a charitable organization, like Caritas Family Solutions. Without the generosity of others, we just wouldn’t be where we are today. Be grateful and be a giver, not just a taker.
- Give to grow your heart– Who wants to be a Grinch? Generosity is a virtue and a solid character trait. Giving to others makes you feel good and lowers your stress related illnesses too.
- Give to help others– We all need a little help from our friends. There are some people who may even be in need of a friend. Your generosity goes a long way and the gratitude is life-giving.
- Give to make a difference– It takes many raindrops to full a bucket, but we are all needed to reach the top. No matter the size of your gift, it all adds up, and you can rest assured that with your help, reaching the goal was made possible.
- Give to pay it forward– Treat others as you’d like to be treated.
We have a day for giving thanks, two days for getting deals, and now there is #GivingTuesday. Join the movement on December 1 and give to your favorite charity. We hope you will contribute toward our goal of raising $1,200 for a new refrigerator/freezer for the children at St. John Bosco Children’s Center by donating here. Will you pay it forward?